Friday, April 24, 2009

SCHOOL DAYZ

He did it! Elijah got his driving permit!!! This is something the boy has dreamed about forever, and it is finally here. We have had several funny conversations in the last couple of days just because of his new adventure.

The first one came the day after he got his permit. I had just picked up the kids from school as usual they are asking about Elijah driving. Of course I am not willing to let him drive while the kids are in the car until his has more experience. He is much more experience than many his age just because he has been around motor vehicles forever. Always driving go cart, motorcycles and driving on the farm. This is not like being on the road with other vehicles as we adults know but the kids are still learning and asking.

So, we acknowledge that Elijah got his permit the day before. Then, Naomi says that her class prayed for him that day that he would be safe and those around him. I love their school and what they teach them!

The next conversation comes a little later that evening when I am out running errands. I look over and see my smiling son (which as a teenager was a little rare) and say to him, " I guess we are going to be attached at the hip from now on?" and his reply was, "yes, as long as I get to drive, I'll go anywhere with you!"

Another moment, me "Slow down when you take that turn."
Him, "That's the way you do it."
Me, "Do as I say, not as I do."


I knew my driving skills were going to come back to haunt me! I have tried to be extra conscious of how I drive for a while now, but it seems I am always in a dead run and push the limit. So, as I say, do as I say and not as I do and everything will be fine.

So, there you have it. He is loose on the road, guided by his loving mother. If you have any extra prayers that you feel like saying, we'll take all we can get!!! In the church parking lot. I thought this would be fitting for our first go at driving. The priest saw us and came over to see what was going on. I ask him to bless us and pray for us!
ONE HAPPY BOY!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

So Good to see that beautiful smile. I love you Elijah!!!!

Dina said...

Beautiful smile IS RIGHT!!! CONGRATS eLIJAH!!! I guess you got to take advantage of spending quality time with him...before he grows up tooo fast & is out on dates, work & life!!! prayers out to you guys!!!