Saturday, August 16, 2008

VACATION WILDLIFE

No, I don't mean us. Although we had a good time, we didn't get too wild. Thankfully, we didn't see to many big critters but we did see a few small ones worth mentioning. Elijah was trying out one of his "new" dos. The dog in the middle followed us home one night. He was with another dog that the owner came and got but this one didn't want to leave. We (the girls) named him Gerald, short for Geraldine. She seemed to really like us and enjoy the attention. The guys wanted to take her and drop her off in the evening but it turned out best since she had tags. The men at the local fire department took her until her owners could come and get her. The kids now have fond memories of Gerald and Sniffy.
Lizards! They seemed to really enjoy the morning sun. This one was a little more shy than the striped one.
Water striders. They don't look anything like the shadows they make in the water, but I thought this was to cool a shot to pass up. Joe loved it when he saw the pics. He had been admiring them too, but didn't think to take a picture.

I know I showed you the butterflies before, but now I am going to give you my uneducated guess. If you know different, please let me know. After looking at the pictures up close, as I was not able to tell this from just looking at them. I thought it was just the way the light hit them. One is iridescent and the other is pretty but doesn't have the wow factor. Now I (think) know why. I would like to think the iridescent one is the female, but going with the bird theory it would be the male. Which would mean the female is bland and HAIRY! I found it very interesting and thought you might too. I especially like the bottom picture because of all the things in the sand around it. The shiny piece of mica, the lone plant, the water droplet. It all adds to the beauty.

2 comments:

Dina said...

I think Elijah's hair looks great in this picture. Not that he cares what I think!! ha ha. looks soo much fun...thank you for taking us all on a vacation!

Kathy said...

Your welcome! I think it is fun too! Hopefully you will make it here one day and we will be able to show you some really cool stuff. And then blog about it :)