Saturday, December 06, 2008

BUILDING on a much smaller scale

The box that took 8 years to complete. I think I have mentioned before that I am a procrastinator, did I mention Joe was one too??? I think I have mentioned before that I have all kind of ideas floating around in my head and sometimes they come to fruition, and sometimes they don't. This box happens to be one of my big ideas. Joe loves woodworking and a long time ago he was able to do more of it. So the box was started as something as a keepsake for Elijah (I had ideas for all my kids to have one) but life happened and it got put on the back burner. Every year or so Elijah would mention it and another part of it would get done and then get put back for future finish. Then it fell and came apart, so a few more years passed.

Fast forward, the new workshop. Projects being moved, the box resurfaces. This time Elijah is really interested and offers to help finish it. Of course that has been the question all of this time, what will the finished product look like? I wanted to leave it somewhat unfinished because of the keepsake idea, but now there were three brains working here. I mentioned the wood burning tool and then taught Elijah how to use it. There was some discussion of what would go on it with the final decision being his, with my suggestions. (Of course, he didn't take too many of my ideas) I think it turned out well and fits a male teenager. The finished product, strong and sturdy.
A Joe in the Box!


Irresistible.

Not my idea, but he was determined.



I didn't get a picture of it, but the Steelers logo is on the side. With more opportunity for decorations in the future, it is his for keeps, made with love.




3 comments:

Dianne said...

Very nice. Did Elijah do the wood-burning? What was the first thing he put in it?

Kathy said...

Mom-Yes, he did all the work himself. The first thing he did was practice on the bottom! Then, it was one thing after the other.

Dina said...

good job!!! Ya know if you think about it, it fits his age, something he will look back on and think....IT FIT THEN!! I think its creative and really did a awesome job.