Saturday, June 30, 2007

SOMETHING ABOUT OUR TIME OUT

Something about time out always makes you want more! When I take time out it makes me have to work more, before and after but it is always worth it and I am so thankful that my clients work with me!!

We took off a few weeks ago to go on an adventure that I was not too sure about. We committed to go camping with a group of 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders from church. I didn't have a problem with the camping since I have been doing that my whole life. The part that I wasn't sure about was spending 4 days with people I barely knew! Once I commit, there is no turning back on most things but then the dread sunk in. What if there were no other women going? What if I didn't feel comfortable? What if we didn't have anything in common?.......... I knew I was being unreasonable but at the same time my client were scaring me too. As with all things I came prepared. I brought my book, cards and knitting and if all else failed I could spend some time in my tent.

Thankfully my prayers were answered and I didn't spend much time in my tent and I got to know some really awesome people. In the back of my mind I had to believe, above all else that people that would camp couldn't be that bad. I know that if you are a camper you have to be easy going or you won't survive. You have to be able to put up with unpredictable weather, bugs, scrapes, cold water unless you want to wait (and make the effort) for hot water. Which was always a necessity in the morning to have our hot coffee and tea.

I could go on but you'll just have to wait and buy the book. This will be under the chapter of firsts.

Some highlights include:

Unlimited friends for Levi
Unlimited time with priest that Naomi so dearly loves.
New friends for ALL of us
Elijah's dream come true of being IN CHARGE since he was a junior chaperon
Beautiful waterfalls and streams
Outdoor mass
Being in the mountains
Beautiful weather
Interesting food
Waking up to the sound of running water
I am sure there is so much more that I am leaving out but this is what comes to mind first. It was something I will never forget and hope to go again.

My camera's battery went out so these were the only pics I could get but they summed up a lot of what went on. We had 3 meals a day and the kids got served first. We all took time serving and cleaning up. Time was spent playing in the fields, going on hikes and tubing in the freezing water. There was always hot lemonade and hot chocolate to warm you up! The campers went to bed at dark and then the junior chaperons got to stay up and play cards till they got rowdy. They quickly learn to stay quiet and enjoy the time they had together NOT working. We adults hung out at the campfire sharing stories among ourselves.

On Wed. night we had a outdoor mass that was beautiful. Two of the campers had brought guitars so we had music. Naomi got to sit up (almost) with Father Will and she was SOOO HAPPY! This is something she has always wanted to do. Tues. night we had a sing along with the guitars that got the campers all around to notice us, they loved it of course. Mon. night there was a slide show of last years camp out. We were all enjoying it until Naomi comes up to us crying her little eyes out "I missed it, WHY did I miss IT???" Joe and I were having a hard time with this until we realized that she was talking about the slide show. They had shown pics of the marshmallows and smores. She thought the show was of this year and she had missed the marshmallows! It took a little convincing but she finally went back to her place and enjoyed the rest of the show. Joe in the kitchen.
The first morning, the little girl on the left in pink (Maria) and the lady on the right (Stacy) were in our tent.
Waiting to be fed.
Lee Ann, Pat, Father John (Naomi's hero) and Joe (My hero).
Luna moth found at camp.

1 comment:

Dina said...

Kathy, I've ALWAYS wanted to be a camp counsler...right up my alley!!! "Meatballs" was my movie for a long time. My parents never took us camping...not in L.a. baby. but it was something I've always wanted to try!! I love the moth...looks like a butterfly!