Friday, March 07, 2008

You've come a long way, baby

For as long as I can remember, I have had trouble with the "correct" emotions for lack of a better word. Let me explain, in stressful or awkward situations I tend to smile or laugh or, at times tear up. This is uncontrollable, and very uncomfortable to say the least.

To make matters worse, this happens often when I am dealing with my children. They are telling me something traumatic in their lives and I laugh. Most of the time I can hide it but what am I saying to them?!

So now, I feel like I had a breakthrough! Last night after I put Naomi to bed, we were laughing and having a good time, I hear these awful sobs. They are getting closer and Naomi is uncontrollable, saying they are going to kick her out of school! My first response was to laugh, but something happened, and aware of it I was able not to. (This is major in my book!) I was able to calm her down and find out why they were going to kick her out of school.

It seems that the toilet at school had got clogged up with paper towels more than once, and the person responsible for that was leaving school. She said that she was responsible for one time but not both. We decided that she needed to tell the teacher and that I would go in this morning with her. I was very proud of her (almost started crying myself) she was steady, clear and remorseful. The teacher knew that she wasn't responsible for both times and hadn't even thought Naomi was to blame. She told her it took courage to own up to doing wrong and she would NOT be kicked out of school! When I left Naomi was happy and her old self again.

Now, for me, I know that I will have slip ups in the future. I like that I was able to help and feel good knowing that I didn't have to hide my face when my child was in pain.

1 comment:

Dina said...

Kathy, that was sooo sweet. ah, those moments. Teri has a hard time with that. she tends to laugh at funerals...just awkward moments...Naomi is precious!!