Sunday, October 26, 2008

CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE

There is a song in there somewhere. Which, you can see is only fitting for this post.

A couple of months ago we started the process of moving rooms. Levi has never been really happy in the big room upstairs even though we have done various things to make it seem smaller. That made him happy, but when we thought he had outgrown his dislike of the big open space we decided changed all that. The blinds came down and he did good for a while then the complaining started. Not ready to go back to improvising, I had an idea. What if he traded rooms with one of the other children. All of them seemed excited about the idea. Naomi was my first thought, then I quickly remember how much stuff she had to move and that it would be a BIG pain so I set my sights on Elijah. His room was small and he didn't have a lot of stuff, or so I thought. Turns out I was wrong, the boy had HUGE ideas and wasn't afraid of asking for them. Wanting to make him happy (since it was Levi's happiness that started all this) I agreed to letting him paint. No big deal, he was going to do all the work. I just had to hand over the wallet. As you might have guessed, after three days of trying to cover the bright red paint with primer he ask for my help (he was done, hated painting and ready to give up). Once again, since I started all this, I felt the need to see it through. Of course I was thinking at one point it might not be so bad with just the primer color. We used almost two gallons of primer and barely a half gallon of the grey. It was a joke by the time it was over, and I'm not sure what I am going to do with the other gallon and a half since I don't really like to paint either. If anyone is interested, let me know, it is a really pretty shade.

So, without further ado. May I present Elijah own creation and design. Brought to you straight out of the eighties (and a little earlier) to the present.

Elijah's Room
Looking in from the doorway.
Making my way around.

He didn't want to pose but he started to get silly with all the excitement. The blue trash can will be replaced by a grey metal one to match his other accessories. It's around here somewhere....we just have to find it.


I was very surprised to see all the wall hangings. I knew he was really using the hammer, but this was amazing.



He and Joe even made the doorstop. Impressive!




He said he added the picture of his Dad because it fit with the eighties decor. I think he just likes to show people that his Dad really did wear a mullet.
Next project, Levi's room.





A little before shot.
Elijah's room speaks for itself, and for him. When I bought him those two boxes of tacks I never dreamed he would use them all. I have learned a good lesson, start with one box and go from there. Of course, I may not have seen Elijah's full potential then.






1 comment:

Dina said...

Cool room Levi!!! what a great idea....I love it..