Saturday, May 05, 2007

DERBY DAY 2007

Today is a big day. There has been so much talk around here about the derby for the last month and now it is finally here. In addition to Derby day it is Cinco de Mayo so there is even more going on.
There has been a plee for George Clooney to come to the derby. Lots of info to help you get dressed for the derby especially the DERBY HAT and all the rules. In our weekender section of the paper yesterday there was the top 10 list of suggestions for the Queen to take to heart.
1. Addressing proper attire.
2. Visit a infield port a potty
3. While in the infield see if you can score some beads from some of the under dressed ladies.
4. To ensure your "buzz" use duck tape to adhere a bottle of whiskey to your upper leg.
5. Eat a chipwich ice cream sandwich, chase with beer in plastic cup.
6. Get to know the celebrities.
7. Look for the young ladies preferably the ones that can swill a quart of mint juleps and eat a Red Hot Smokey.
8. Throw undergarments at the jockeys so you can get your program signed.
9. When concerned about your horse doing badly the media will overlook a little fuss.
Last, I will post word for word.
10. Lastly, there is the egress from the Downs, post the the main event. A truly seasoned soul knows that the public transport to the outlying car parks is your best option for a swift return to Lexington and the serenity of Lane's end. Do be careful to avoid those teetering onto the trolleys, as they tend to get a little overcome with bus exhaust and some can no longer retain their previously consumed libations. And, remember, if you choose to attempt the infield beer slide, go head first and wait until the end of the day!
I have never been to the derby but have always heard LOTS of stories. Most of them scare me. I have never been a fan of crowds and I can only imagine what the crowd there must be like. Especially when you add our fine Kentucky weather to the mix. The choice around here is much more simple, Keenland. The past few years it has gotten popular to enjoy the derby there. No live racing, just LOTS of big screen TVs and a party atmosphere. Any way you look at it, it's a party with the potential to win! or loose...

My picks for the Derby. Stormello and Liquidity both of them have 30-1 odds with Cowtown Cat at 20-1 odds. So my bet is a trifecta with #6, #9 and #17. I'm crossing my fingers today. I have never been lucky (with or without help) with the racing form. This year may be different, time will tell.
Joe in his derby hat!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I enjoyed watching the Derby too. My horse didn't win but it was fun to watch. I loved the hats.

Dina said...

I told Jerry & Gail when we come to see a Derby ( hopefully next?!)
I WILL DO THE HAT & THE OUTFIT!! YA HAVE TOO!!