Monday, January 14, 2008

THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS

There were a few questions that I thought about putting in my original post about the owl puke, but didn't. So, for anyone interested, here is the rest of the story.

A few years ago Elijah was given this as a gift. He thought it was cool, but never took the time to do it. He read the book that went with it, but never felt the need to see was it was all about. Thinking it was so cool, I ask him about it a few times but that was that. A few months ago Levi did one in school and that renewed my interest. While doing a thorough clean and purge of Elijah's room, I came across it again. Ask him if he wanted to work on it and he didn't seem interested so I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to see for myself what was in there! That's WHY I did it. I just couldn't throw it away!!!!

No, I thought about the gloves too, and really wanted to wear them but didn't feel like I could do as good of a job with the delicate parts. Since Levi had done his I ask them what they used. He didn't find half the bones I did because he used a big stick and the toothpick.

As for the children, Elijah was at his dads. Levi and Naomi were just hanging out playing. They would come by occasionally and watch me. I ask them if they wanted to help and Naomi said, "NO WAY!" Levi was deep into his Lego's so I knew there was no way he was going to stop.

Lastly, when an owl eats their prey, they swallow it whole. Unable to digest the bones and fur, they stay in the gizzard until the owl is done digesting its meal. After several hours the gizzard shaped pellet is formed. It can sit in the ptoventriculus for up to ten hours! Owls puke on a regular cycle, usually leaving pellets in the same place each time. So, when the owl is ready to get rid of the pellet, it closes its eyes. Then the bird stretches its neck and out drops the pellet! Is that cool or what! Interesting post and a nature lesson too. Any more questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Oh, and you just gotta click on the pictures to get the FULL effect!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Thanks, you always were curious about things as a child. I'm glad you didn't outgrow it!
Naomi seems to be following in your footsteps.
Love ya!

Dina said...

Thanks for all the info...I GUESS its kinda interesting!!