Tuesday, August 21, 2007

ANOTHER.....what can I say, ramble?, writing??

It's a rainy morning. I have things I need to do. I have had my coffee but I am not motivated yet, close, just not yet. I know that once I start I won't be able to sit down again until time to pick up the kids from school.

I have been thinking about family a lot lately. We have had Joe's sister and her kids in town. His brother is in for this week and my parents are visiting this weekend. We have had birthdays in the family and with school starting back a little last minute togetherness. It has been nice. I am a thinker though. I think about the people I know that have loved ones that are sick, really really sick. I think about there lives and what I can do to help. I think about all the kids out there that don't have any one to turn to. I think about our world and all of the disaster we have seen. I feel like we have to live our lives like today might be our last, but not live in fear.

As a mother I am trying my best to instill in my children love, thoughtfulness, kindness, and the fact that their actions don't affect just themselves but they affect others. I don't try to cram this down there throats but I do take every opportunity to point out examples and to be a good example myself. Which is not always easy when they don't even pay attention to me. I see it working, slowly the doors open and the light comes in. I am nothing if not persistent. I just pray there are loads of other parents that feel the same as me and truly take the time to guide their children in the direction they need to be. I think everyone needs to be told how to act and then follow through with action. Children never just get "it".

School is just starting and I have read and heard so many stories on bullying that I guess that is where all of this is coming from. That, and the gloomy day, little sleep and the fact that my kids are back with children who I know are influencing them . They may not realize it but it happens. I have already seen a improvement in Naomi. Her class is so positive so far this year and I really feel we made the right decision to change schools. Levi is having a great time as usual. If there are things going on in his class he will be oblivious to them! Elijah I am still trying to figure out. The fact that he is a teenager doesn't help but when I pick him up he has NOTHING to say. Which is not like him. I don't know if he is overwhelmed and just needs to chill (that's my bet) or if something more is going on. Later in the evening he talks and seems happy, it is just such a change for him to say so little. Children have a way of keeping their parents guessing.

In close, (I know I have rambled on) I just want to say, I am thankful for all that I have been blessed with. I know my parent struggled with us but they did the best they could. I am trying to do the same with my kids and in this crazy world we live in I pray my kids will learn to do the same for their children.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I'm afraid you are experiencing what I have always referred to as 'the terrible teens'. I often heard of the 'terrible twos' but I don't think they compare to the 'terrible teens'. Just be thankful your children are far enough apart that you will get to experience it one at a time.;) One time, a while back, McKenzie said I sounded just like her Mom. I knew for sure then that I had done something right. Enjoy!!!