Tuesday, March 10, 2009

LENT

Lent should be more than a time of fasting . It should also be a joyous season of feasting. Lent is a time to fast from certain things and feast on others.
It is a season to turn to God:

A Lenten Prayer

Fast from judging others; feast on the Christ indwelling in them.
Fast from emphasis on differences; feast on the unity of all life.
Fast from apparent darkness; feast on the reality of light.
Fast from words that pollute; feast on phrases that purify.
Fast from discontent; feast on gratitude.
Fast from anger; feast on patience.
Fast from pessimism; feast on optimism.
Fast from worry; feast on trust.
Fast from complaining; feast on appreciation.
Fast from negatives; feast on affirmatives.
Fast from unrelenting pressures; feast on unceasing prayer.
Fast from hostility; feast on nonviolence.
Fast from bitterness; feast on forgiveness.
Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others.
Fast from personal anxiety; feast on eternal truth.
Fast from discouragement; feast on hope.
Fast from facts that depress; feast on truths that uplift.
Fast from lethargy; feast on enthusiasm.
Fast from suspicion; feast on truth.
Fast from thoughts that weaken; feast on promises that inspire.
Fast from gossip; feast on purposeful silence.

Gentle God, during this season of fasting and feasting, gift us with your presence so we can be a gift to others in carrying out your work. Amen.

-William Arthur Ward (1921-1994)

I just thought you might want to share in my class I am taking on Tuesday mornings. It help renew my faith and gives me many thought provoking moments.

Enjoy today, I'll be back later with new pictures of Joe's parents house. They are really making progress, it looks great!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Amen! That reminds me of the St. Francis prayer, Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Love you!

Dina said...

omg!! I loooove it. sorry been sooo long since I read.thats good news & bad. I got another job at the old school i was at last year. its just a sub job, but with layoffs running wild around the island...i feel fortunate if it's one day!!! I'm going to copy this